Holy moly it’s been a busy start of the year.. Does anyone else feel like busy creates busy? That’s sure how I feel. After a round of colds and flus (and pink eye- thanks public schools!) in our house in January, February kicked it up a notch and March is showing no signs of slowing down. (Wow that totally sounds like a horoscope.
Every year I set out some goals that I want to work towards. I check in with these periodically throughout the year. If I don’t keep checking back, I lose site of my direction. Also, I love to check in and see how much I have done or am working on. It also gives me a kick in the pants when I just want to sit on my butt.
Here are my goals for 2016.
- Develop passive income ideas- These are still stirring in my brain, but there is a lot of year to go still.
- Increase number of clients this year- I can happily say I have done this already. I hope to keep adding to this but I’m pretty excited for my clients, new and old, and can’t wait to share each of their weddings/events. Each is so completely different and equally wonderful.
- Develop side projects- This I can also say is in the works and kinds took a path I wasn’t expecting but I couldn’t be happier with it.
2. Create a Better Business System
- Work on a better blogging schedule- I started the year with months of blog posts prepped and scheduled. I am trying to stay on top of it as I get busy, but some posts come easier than others. This is my constant struggle.
- Have more consistent social media- Always working on it! Always.
- Network more- I am also doing this more. The new clients I am working with this year are also getting me to network as I am reaching out to new vendors. So that is fun!
- Invest and create more style shoots this year- I haven’t even thought about a shoot yet. SOOO this is somewhere I can work on for sure.
- Work at better bookkeeping and filing- Yea. I still need to deal with 2015 bookkeeping… so there’s that. My total weakness.
- Create a better system for new inquiries and client experience- I am always trying to improve this but can say I have got to a place where I am happy with the process.
3. Invest and Work at Personal Growth
- Attend 1 conference this year- Nothing in the works yet.
- Be intentional and present in everything I do, especially with family- This is a biggy for me and something that I have to work at. It’s so easy to pick up my phone all the time and check emails. I have to remind myself that the emails can wait a few hours and my family can’t always.
- Be more positive- I think I have been doing a good job in this department. By no means am I a ball of sunshine every day but in general I feel more positive.
- Stop complaining- Same here, I don’t think it’s humanly possible for someone to never complain, but I feel I have cut back over complaining about things and complaining about the little things.
- Don’t be embarrassed or ashamed of my path (stop comparing)- It’s hard not to compare yourself to others, especially in this industry. I recently had a coffee date with a friend of mine, who is also a planner, and we talked a lot about how our perception of those we were comparing ourselves too turn out to be so off in some ways. We both agreed to just do us and not worry about who is doing what in their business.
- Be open to new experiences- This couldn’t be more true this year. Things are rapidly changing and I have been enjoying the ride (even though I’m kinda terrified.)
- Have a better work/life balance- Still need to figure this out.
So there you have it. I feel like I am on the right path and can check some of these off, mark some as started projects and know where I should pull up my socks. I highly recommended every do this with their goals. It totally helps me regain focus, reposition myself and know where what direction I’m heading.